September 16, 2009

Looking on the Bright Side

Ok. The other night, I sat here at my computer and I wrote a post with my Nellie Negator hat on. I went on and on about this little pet peeve of mine, felt purged, and hit Publish. Then, about an hour or so later, I was lying in bed thinking about it. Thinking about how negative I am. How critical and judgemental I can be. So, I hopped out of bed, ran down here, and hit Delete. I felt a little better then. I felt like I had erased a smidgen of negative energy from my life. Of course, I still want you to know how much I hate....ooops, sorry.

Then yesterday, when I awoke to the heartbreaking news that Patrick Swayze had died, I was all set to write a little tribute post. All positive and such. With quotes from Dirty Dancing and everything. But yesterday turned out to be a quintessential SHM day - driving around picking up things and kids and delivering things and kids, and doing favors for friends who work outside their homes and don't have all the time in the world to write on their blogs. By the end of the afternoon, I didn't feel much like memorializing Patrick, or anything else for that matter. I just wanted a glass of wine and a little CSI. It turned out to be a half a bottle of wine, and it was Criminal Minds, not CSI, but I was quite happy with the altered combo.

Today, I wanted my negativity to get a makeover. I had a plan: to take all the little s**t that bothers me and put a positive spin on it. Like this:

I [heart] when...

~ people put their grocery carts away
~ teenagers are polite
~ school secretaries are pleasant and patient when they help me fill out a medical release form
~ drivers drive in the appropriate lane for the speed at which they are going

But nothing lasts forever.

There are just some things that I can't leave alone, and here is one of them: I was looking up something about my son's school, on the computer, and I happened upon a site where one can leave comments about the district. As a teacher and a member of this community, I want to make this positive, believe me.
I can't.
Here is what I read...in it's original form, with names changed to protect the innocent:

im a student for XYZ Middle School for 2008-2009. im going off to XYZ high school and XYZ middle school is a excellent school to be in. and there is really fun teachers and not that many mean teachers at all. Go [mascots] !!! =)

Yes way.


My deleted rant about the nation's obsession with vampires was far nicer than what I would ever say about this. If I were a negative kind of person. Which I'm not.






1 comment:

  1. A nod to my blog? and my feature?...well, you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete