December 13, 2009

STORMWATCH '09

John and I love the weather reports around here this time of year. Being the native upstate New Yorker that he is, and me having lived a spell in Boston, we get a kick out of the level of excitement reached in western Washington when the prospect of snow arrives. Our favorite on-site reporter, Jim Forman, of the super bright yellow jacket you couldn't miss in a blizzard, gets out there somewhere in downtown Seattle and has up-to-the-minute Storm Watch '09 ('08, '07, '06 - they're all the same) highlights. The camera will close in on his hand, scooping (hardly) this wet, sort of fake kind of snow off the sidewalk, and he'll be saying stuff like: "You can see here, that this snow is wet. Wet and cold."
Wow.
Really.

I think it's hilarious that a possible one inch drop makes the news at all, let alone becomes the top Reporting Live, Breaking News story.
Here is my driveway, right this minute. This warrants a StormWatch '09 news feed. School Closure Alerts and all.






Here is a picture of Boston.





That's a StormWatch.

But I'll tell you what, it makes for entertaining tv. Obviously, since I just spent 10 minutes making fun of it.

Oh, and by the way, I secretly love Jim Forman. And his jacket. It's the exact same one I have.

3 comments:

  1. Hysterical. My favorite--here in Southern New England--is the "mixed bag" forecast. No commitment to snow, or freezing rain, or rain. "It's gonna be a mixed bag..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Maine--and I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, you DO have the Jim Forman jacket! That is AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete